Orange You Glad I Found These Chairs?

by keavenwilla

…because I sure am!

Orange Orphans. Found in Bethlehem, NH. Cost: $0

Orange Orphans. Found in Bethlehem, NH. Cost: $0

I know…right? These were just sitting there…for YEARS…getting damaged! They actually were a set of 6, but the other two had suffered badly at the hands of water, and I didn’t think it would be cost effective to repair them. Plus I had to shove these into my car, along with my boyfriend, our dog, her bed, and our traveling supplies.

We drive the same route through Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont several times a year to go back to my parent’s property in the Northeast Kingdom. Every time we go, we have certain places that we stop along the way for pee-breaks (for the DOG, of course), and to stretch our legs. At one of these locations, there is a semi-sheltered place where these chairs had just been dumped and left to rot.

Last year when I first saw them there, I realized that the one closest to me was in pretty rough shape, and didn’t pursue the others. I wasn’t in the position to take on a big project then, anyways.

This time, however, I was feeling really great, and inspired, and was in just the right mood for the chairs to look really, really appealing. And – trust me – these things were dirty. But, filthy as they were, I couldn’t help but notice their retro charm. The orange pleather upholstery, the poorly applied finish, and the badly rusted hardware aside, these chairs still hold an enormous amount of appeal. Under all of the layers of dirt, there are real-life bent laminations for the back legs and the seat frame. Also, although the seats are rotted through on two of the chairs, which means all will have to be replaced in the effort of cohesion, the backs appear to still be totally sturdy, and therefore salvageable as a template.

Before & After. Unwashed & Washed.

Before & After. Unwashed & Washed.

It’s a little bit of a bummer that two of the seats are in such rough shape that all will have to go, but hey – this does give me an excuse to upholster something! Also there are a few, new-to-me, finish techniques that I’ve been wanting to try out, that I think would be perfect for these chairs! I only wish this fabric was salvageable, because after a bath it actually looks really cool!

I am glad that I found these. What a cool project! I don’t know what they will become yet, but I’ve begun sketching and plotting.

One more exciting update about the studio:

This weekend, Brett installed my new windows! This is a huge step for the basement remodel, but especially for my studio corner. Two out of three basement windows are in my corner. We went and bought the new ones on Saturday and installed them both for the most part on Saturday evening. What little was left to do on the second window, Brett did today while I was out, so now I have new windows! New windows, and a very, very messy corner…

My corner after a quick demolition job.

My corner after a quick demolition job.

It’s a little bit tough at times like these to imagine that this room will ever look amazing…but I have faith!

Advertisements